0:01this program is presented by University of California television 0:04like what you learn visit our website or follow us on Facebook and Twitter 0:09to keep up with the latest you see TV programs 0:20the new the normal 0:31little 0:36cool 0:39cool 0:40cool 0:44good evening we've got an 0:46and exciting a guest speaker this evening someone who's 0:51set some world records in and being an entrepreneur and some other things he's 0:55done 0:55my name's Ron lesniak I'm a lecture in the CT 191 0:59entrepreneurs in class and I was asked to say a few words 1:03at the beginning in this talk by device in Sholl 1:06out his family came the United States from India 1:09when he was four years old a at 25 cents to the 1:13twenty-five dollars to the name and by the age 18 he had sold his first company 1:18click agents and Internet advertising company he created as a teenager 1:23I believe you started when he was 16 for forty 1:26million dollars since then he has acted as the youngest executive 1:31a multi billion dollar Corp corporate Nasdaq corporation 1:34and started and so the second company blue vitzium 1:38to Yahoo for a mere 300 1:41million dollars so this is a man who is 1:44a unbelievable are entrepreneur 1:47a believer in passion with action and and and a mover and a shaker 1:53unparalleled in young entrepreneurship he has been the cup 1:56discussed at the on the cusp every internet advertising trend 2:00for the past 10 years this is a man who pioneered 2:03the Internet and in in the advertising world um 2:07he starred in fox's secret millennium he has appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show 2:12I'm he's with been interview by Bonnie Hunt New York Photo 2:16and profile the New York Times Entrepreneur Magazine 2:19in the San Francisco Chronicle his currently developing several other 2:23television shows 2:24and recently launched his third company G wallet 2:28in he lives in San Francisco I like you to introduce to 2:31under Varsha Jul let's give him a nice warm welcome 2:35thank you for the 2:43cilantro were I'll let me just put this in presentation 2:47good alright 2:55so how many you guys wanna be on for are 3:00good good so I guess this mostly this will apply to Cal University everything 3:05I guess is the some background on Conway amor talk about today 3:09yeah is a very different than what you're probably 3:12used to hearing in a classroom a most everything I 3:16I talk about whether it's in my book or even today I 3:19it really comes from the heart and it comes from experience that comes from 3:23very unorthodox way of doing things and 3:27it also comes from reality so everything that I've realizes that 3:31in the world have business a too many times we get absorbed 3:35especially in the classroom or on textbook and weak sometimes forget that 3:39businesses are are started with relationships 3:43and the desire to go and succeed comes from passion 3:46and a lot of things I was talking about is exactly those 3:50few things so before you go them most the time when people 3:54here my story they are purple disclaimer stay in school 3:58so I did drop out %uh high school when I was 16 4:02I to start my first company by that does not tell 4:06by anybody bat that's the way to go 4:09because in essence I think the perfect thing that school teaches us 4:12is it teaches us how to learn and all of us have a very different wavering 4:17and you can say that I kind of learned very differently 4:21a at sixteen reality I've 4:24the way to start a business and from myself and in the business world but 4:28that doesn't mean that you guys should be about the same I think that the 4:31platform you guys have 4:32is probably a gift that I didn't have in terms of this education 4:36as well as this this opportunity so stay in school 4:39couple other things entrepreneurship is in general 4:44is like a roller coaster it has its ups and downs but it's your choice to 4:47screamer enjoy the ride 4:49so another way of looking at that is that it takes a lot I got 4:53and it takes a lot of emotion to succeed in the business world 4:56I and you gonna have so many crazy days 5:00and you're gonna have probably one or two really good and then you have to 5:04basically realize that okay to the bad days that you have 5:07it's okay because you know what you gonna go ahead I'll learn 5:10and your adapt and your stomach yourself into surviving the next day 5:14and sometimes that's the worst thing because that is 5:17most the time when people give up and that's what you're not supposed to 5:21because if you're passionate about something you believe in something you 5:23want to do it 5:24I you have every opportunity to 5:27have more those good days to take me on the next annex ride 5:31so what are the things I also wanna share before we start is a 5:35go to reach you the regime on mantra actually my third companies call radium 5:39one 5:39was formally called you all that but this is actually something that we have 5:43hanging in our lobby 5:44and this is what I i spire everybody to actually 5:48think this way because I don't think that I hire employees even though we 5:51have to an employee's 5:52across different offices I do not think your arms employees I think them as 5:56entrepreneurs 5:57so I was read this to you as and I hope you guys get 6:01what I think a people can get out this we believe anything is possible 6:06we see opportunity one other see impossible we take risks we're focused 6:11we hustle we know that nothing's unrealistic 6:14we feel overwhelming love we embrace are childlike wonder and curiosity 6:19we take flying leap into the unknown we contribute to something bigger than 6:24ourselves 6:25we create we learn we grow we do 6:28we believe it's never too late to start living a dream 6:31we are entrepreneurs so 6:35couple other things I guess to start off just because it's very unconventional 6:38and I wanna go ahead and 6:39and let you know what you're not going first 6:42so the next big doing our idea 6:46right I get I get asked many times I just need an idea just hook me up just 6:50give me one great idea 6:51folks me on a and I'm gonna become that next Mark Zuckerberg right 6:55and wanton most people don't realize is that Mark Zuckerberg did increase of not 6:59working right 7:00I it was already there he made it better he made it 7:03in a way that actually could grow into a fifty billion dollar company today 7:06and that's what you have to remember that the next best thing 7:09is actually something that's already there but the better iteration of it 7:13the quickest way to sell a company for a lot to me 7:17so a lot of times people are in it for the wrong reasons 7:20I'll if you look at my resume you can quickly say that okay well you obviously 7:24know how to 7:25start a company in for a bit it's not so easy right 7:28think that's not the way the business world works is because you cannot create 7:31just a business for the sole purpose to sell it that's just not the way it is 7:35mean sometimes it works but let's call him the lottery 7:39but that's not what we want to do we actually want to work for it and 7:42the lottery is not something that we can predict what we can predict 7:46is when we can create value and that's what I want to talk about today 7:50how your investors for you next big idea right most the times people think that I 7:55have 7:55an amazing idea and all I need is money for it 7:59and there is another thing that just doesn't work because if you think the 8:02all the greatest companies for the last ten years 8:05we actually already started a business Andrew traction 8:08and then they got investors right a mere idea does not get you money 8:13it's the aspiration to actually have traction that shows investors as well as 8:17yourself they actually on to something 8:20to be successful all you need is to think of something different again going 8:24back to my first point 8:26uge you should not I'm a big proponent 8:29I've something that most PC's probably will disagree with most PC's 8:33always say what's so different about you what's actually gonna go ahead and make 8:36me want invest in you 8:38and what you doing different than someone else right 8:41and when you think about things that way what ends up happening is 8:45you try to create something that is unproven 8:48and when the odds are against you want things are unproven what are you really 8:51gonna do 8:52you're probably not gonna go ahead and be successful 8:55you know in that regard so it's very very key to go ahead and 8:59figure out one thing that's already out there that's proven so if you can look 9:02at my motto 9:03in my career in advertising advertising's a $35 billion dollar 9:06industry its 9:07it's been around people make money through ads you know all the stuff that 9:11we've done is to make 9:12advertising more intelligent right and it's already been proven 9:15you know there's different variations avi as as the internet moved on but 9:19it's something that was already established in out there 9:23how you will change the world with your business this is another common dilemma 9:26that ends up happening 9:28I think arch winners take far too much credit a 9:31one successes hit the Academy ovett and 9:35say okay started his business to change the world that's not the way it works 9:38ride I could tell you right now that some the biggest companies that today 9:42that have changed the world 9:43change the world because they grew into what they became 9:47they did not change the world because that's cool flatter p 9:50and philanthropy in the business world doesn't go hand in hand ago only happens 9:54after the fact so if you have an idea that want to change the world 9:58I E think about it as a later stage 10:01in the process not the beginning aspect other 10:06how to write a business plan I this is something I'm also very very 10:10negative on because I we ventured 10:13the economies of scale where things move so quickly 10:17and the business world has changed so much for a 10:20innovations going so fast so if you're gonna spend 10:23months and months on to write a business plan which is 10:27all about phiri I you're actually we think I'm 10:30so I know this is probably not the textbook way 10:33love it because most textbooks teach you what a business plan is to give you 10:37practice 10:37on how to actually I formally things 10:41but the idea that is is that the number one thing that's and I keep you away 10:45from being successful is time and that is something that we do not have 10:48in our favor in this was a role especially as it becomes more 10:52competitive 10:53so move away from the business plan and focus on traction 10:58and how you live a stress leave life as an entrepreneur that is one thing 11:02that life just doesn't give you especially if you choose the path to 11:05being an entrepreneur 11:06so here's the three things that I hope you do learn today 11:10the definition of ambition disappoint 11:13and purpose as it is defined by you as an individual 11:18that is by the most important because if you can figure those three things out 11:21you will become a very successful entrepreneur 11:25fears your worst enemy risk is your best friend 11:30that's what you have to basically realize is that the only thing that I 11:33stop you 11:34is the fear a failure the only thing that's actually gonna help you is when 11:38you actually decide to take that risk 11:40they go hand in hand and the last thing 11:43so from a little tired it's because a number three insomnia will become your 11:47best friend 11:48so keep that in mind 11:51so it's a let's talk about this as well I shared this 11:55slide with a during my last sale: summit add cream 1 11:59and I said this to my sales force I said that 12:03the hierarchy of success whether your salesperson or their product person 12:07whether an engineer 12:08whatever you're in the company's by defined by these three 12:11very basic principles so if you have the stupid 3 12:15you will become successful the first one is obviously ambition 12:19and this is just the mere desire up wanting to win 12:23right if you have it you will go ahead and make that your fuel 12:27the second thing is disappoint too many people sometimes 12:31want to be successful but don't want to put in the work 12:34right sets the stage to if you have that ambition 12:37the second phase of the is this a fun because you gotta realize 12:40the sleepless nights there's things that you have to do that you never dreamed of 12:44but you have to do them in order to go and put in that works sweat equity in 12:47place 12:48and the third thing is making a difference and making a dent 12:52and that's come down to purpose what drives you what motivates you 12:56what actually wants to make you want to put the pieces together 12:59because if those pieces are together in the way that you envision it 13:03I and you have the right basis of cream that you can be successful 13:07otherwise if you're in it for the wrong reasons saying okay I wanna be the next 13:10billionaire 13:11I wanna be on Forbes magazine I want to do this on 13:14those are all the wrong things does all those happen 13:17by the by product 56 s nothing happened to begin 13:21and I know that some this may be too apparent to you but I'm just trying to 13:24go ahead and 13:25make it very clear because sometimes people are in it for the wrong reasons 13:27and 13:28and and you want to make sure whatever your delivering whatever you're making 13:32whatever you're treating 13:33has the right foundation morally ethically motivational a 13:37because all that composes your best outcome for actually wanting to one 13:43so and here's a quick diagram above what an arch winners brain looks like 13:48so you know obviously work ethic from the beginning 13:51you probably trust not that many people but in the middle you have this 13:55imagination you actually have the ability to create your own reality 13:59and you have very little patience right because that's one thing that time 14:03doesn't give you 14:05but your creative you have the charisma you have the backward selling accum and 14:10and you have the self-esteem to inspire only people 14:13so these are all the different characteristics you need 14:16in order to connect these dots so 14:20a couple other things just think about from business that you can learn from 14:23like what's happened in the last ten years 14:25right and one of my favorite quotes in business actually doesn't come from 14:29a business book actually comes with science right daren 14:32is not the strongest the species that survive nor the most intelligent that 14:37survives 14:37is the ones that are most adaptable to change 14:42right if you can just look at the last fifteen years 14:45love the Internet how much has it evolved and 14:48probably the last man standing that still be here bungalows Google 14:52but just think about the era we had the netscape we had 14:56up the Vista we had Yahoo then we have Google 15:00I'm sure we had a lot of stuff in between but the that's the evolution of 15:04it and this is the span of 15 years 15:06right even look at social networking right I mean look at how much has 15:09changed from Friendster 15:10myspace to Facebook too whatever else is out there so 15:14that is the difference right I mean you have to adapt to change 15:19so here's four examples of companies that we can all kinda look back at last 15:2215 years 15:23and say that where the I was of the ball 15:27first one 15:30since it's all about innovate or die here's for example zav 15:34where you don't wanna die Kodak 15:38the cease to be a very famous thing great this is a Kodak moment 15:41right you take a family picture above a block but 15:44at its peak it at 260,000 employees 15:49right 160 thousand it a lot and 15:52in 1997 at a market capitalization of $28 billion dollars 15:56so obviously at that was the peak love it if file for bankruptcy it's no longer 16:00out there 16:01right simply because very innovate par the digital revolution 16:05and here's something that has become like the vocabulary 16:08I've are a you know that defines a verb for us 16:12right is no longer even in business because the sore fact I've 16:15it in adapter its reality in change 16:20blockbuster 30,000 employees in its peak 16:23five billion dollar market cap less than 10 years ago right 16:26we actually should drive to watch movies and bring home 16:30baby obviously to innovate fast now for the digital 16:33revolution and now this acquired its assets for 16:37very little money but that's just another example 16:41blackberry anybody have lacked a reason the audience shame on you 16:45so 16:48you won't be soon enough but 16:51in 2008 June 2008 blackberry had a market capitalization 16:55$83 billion dollars like it owned a smartphone market 16:59right it was like you were the cool kid if your BlackBerry if you raise your 17:03hand not so cool right now 17:04by but the the drift love it is is that 17:08they thought they owned it right they thought that simply by having a keyboard 17:12attached to a so-and-so screen that was enough for them 17:15Apple came along ball in less than four years 17:19since this peak I Apple went from 17:22I guess 50 or 100 doing our bit to all the way a $600 billion dollar company 17:26right like a multiple the $83 billion dollars because they created something 17:31that didn't exist and they made it better and evolve 17:35and they pushed the market that way right and that's something that happened 17:39in a matter for years 17:40by that that's that's that's phenomenal and that is a speed 17:44love above the business world today one thing that I've even seen last 14 years 17:48my life is that 17:49I innovation is kinda like it grew and I think the Internet allowed it to go 17:54ahead make a lot of fast decisions and companies 17:56I drew fly by night and now it's actually 18:00become so intense even for the big boys to keep up 18:03because our star upstairs there's diff people that can be nimble enough 18:07and go after a problem and just own it in a matter 18:10short months for years myspace 18:14who had a myspace account back in the day yeah 18:18why heard the relaunching but the my wanna say that 18:22one they got acquired for $580 million dollars in July 2005 18:26they thought we all thought I was crazy and then just a couple years later 18:30I ya who attempted to buy it in a in a merger for $12 billion 18:35thank God that happen right but this guy tells you right there is that what 18:39people thought five inner ear million dollars for the largest social 18:42networking site in 2005 was a joke 18:44I it could have maintained right look at what Facebook is there a fifty billion 18:49dollar company 18:50right so this is just another great example in the last examples by the 18:54greatest lost in shareholder value in history a well 18:57I in they had this clever idea and December 99 they were gonna go ahead and 19:03create 19:03all media new media together comes out to under twenty two billion dollars a 19:07market cap 19:08that was in december ninety nine and what ended up happening Vienna for 19:11racing 19:12$220 billion dollars in a span of 13 years 19:16since it didn't work so what's the rule from here you better in a bit 19:20so what are the biggest things to learn here is 19:24the idea verses them right the idea versus action 19:28ideas or 1 percent of the journey right the 19:31actually just tell you what to do the action is actually what composes a 19:37above the result and most but most people again 19:40absorb themselves on I have the next big is cool is greatest amazing idea 19:45and that's where the absorbed 99 percent of the energy were 19:48what they really should be doing center if that's what I think I'm gonna do 19:52I wanna go ahead and actually plan out the roadmap to 19:55to create something out of it but then I'm gonna be open and I see where it 19:59takes me 19:59Google is a great example face because ik is a Greek 20:03example love multi-billion dollar companies again that started off as 20:06something that existed before 20:08even my company's i sorry click asians we were not 20:11be first performance based advertising network I had to have him 20:16we were not the first a behavioral advertising network 20:20and I even you all what I originally launched you all it I have the wrong 20:25idea 20:25than you think that third time entrenar with my success blah blah blah 20:30were actually know what I'm doing right and this is a clear example love me 20:34basically realizing that 20:36I don't know what I was doing by was quick to react to it I was quick enough 20:39to realize that this is the wrong 20:41area of focus on what to do and we pay for the entire company 20:44to redeem one which is based on social advertising in today 20:48it's bigger than you my prior to companies but that's the kinda DNA that 20:51you have to have 20:52I and realize that you can launch a product get the parity 20:56innovate and then start separating from the pack so 21:01the second lesson here is that you wanna be open to change take the blinders off 21:06look around don't be afraid to go on all sorts of unusual directions 21:10because that's where you might find a most unusual and surprising 21:13opportunities 21:15so a lotta people for stuff to work 21:18they get obsessed they think that it's passion that drives them but it's 21:21actually obsession 21:22there's two different things you can get obsessed with the product you can get 21:25obsessed with an idea 21:27because you get obsessed Europe or something to succeed 21:30verses if you actually just say okay this is one direction 21:34but I'm I keep myself entirely open to realizing where else I can go 21:38thats were the best result ends up happening 21:42valuation is built by scarcity valuation is based on what your value today 21:48and it is completely rebuilt around scarce it's not built around 21:52necessary how much profit you maker how much revenue make 21:56bet that a component but the real valuation of what drives you 22:00in the marketplace is a scarcity I you have the biggest deals 22:04are when companies are not sold one thereby right 22:07I companies that are sold in only being taken over companies that are being 22:11bought 22:12are actually bob because a motion and if you can actually ever saw your company 22:17by a motion 22:18it's based on a scarcity value that he built up based on someone that actually 22:22need something from me 22:23verses buying something right that's there's a very big do any Asian 22:27and every entrepreneur should start strive to build scarcity value from day 22:32one 22:34higher only rock stars this is actually a quote from my book that I think 22:38actually summarizes a a great way to look at 22:42leadership and and teamwork higher the smartest people you can find 22:46smart people make beautiful music together lots a smart people 22:50working Eunice I'm can have the power and you have a beethoven symphony 22:55you want a pic quality over quantity too many times people want to discard people 22:59to do 23:00jobs and I and I don't look at it that way I can look at every single person 23:05that 23:05I actually and the being part of my team they look at this as a career 23:10they don't look at this as a job you stamp out of 5 o'clock 23:13you not part of the team right doesn't mean that you have to devote 23:1724 hours every day to actually go ahead and work for a company but you gotta 23:21have that passion where you're not looking at is a 23:23as a in and out time clock it's one passion is driving you did make 23:27decisions and make results because your part is greater team 23:31and your party that connection that drives you to be successful 23:34the other thing I learned is again I had to learn this very very differently 23:38because I started 16 23:40I is not to be frugal Leidy can you imagine being a 16-year-old CEO and 23:44saying oh my god I want to pay someone that much 23:47right I've never even thought about that before and that's the kinda way I would 23:50I would think but I would actually say 23:52that person to make more money to me that's not fair I mean that's the kinda 23:55stuff obviously you you think about when you're 23:57adolescent now I don't look at it that way if somebody's worth five hundred 24:01thousand dollars I will pay them five thousand dollars because that means that 24:04there's greater value attributed their so all in all the net-net have that is 24:08that you ought to be frugal 24:10you wanna pay people you wanna give them the equity 24:13or give them the cash in for whatever they deserve because that's the end 24:17result 24:18you get what you pay for you get what you actually connect with 24:21and you want to be able to have the right people with you 24:27never key piece of vulnerable never make someone have control 24:31view that lets you not control your own destiny 24:35so when I was 16 I E 24:38had a business partner that I met on the internet 24:41surprise that actually was poor the person that 24:44I created the technology the beginning at serving technology for 24:49for quick asians and you know I'm indiana my technical so I i 24:53I had to have someone create this for me 24:57I and what I realize is that I just you know outsource 25:00this to someone and forgot about technology 25:04did my deals called calls and 25:07within six months at a business I was going two hundred thousand dollars a 25:10month 25:11and I feel great and then I realize that this person basically told me that 25:15if I did not give much 30 the company they would be if we shut me down 25:20and again I like I'm 16 II ended up saying 25:23try go for it let's see what happens and I was shut down 25:27and what I ended up learning there is a I actually 25:30could have lost everything I would not be here today if I did not make the 25:33right decisions from that point on 25:35and the decisions I have to make is basically realize that I can never 25:39let someone have full control and visibility 25:42have everything if I don't know how to program that's okay I just need to 25:45surround myself from people that actually do 25:47and her in her for the right reasons incentivize them that way 25:50hand up what ended up happening I 25:54found some people I found better people people that I could trust 25:58I got back up and running and that twelve months from that point ended up 26:02selling my country for 49 26:03so even what I thought to have been the biggest disaster had I not make the 26:07right decisions 26:09backer just completely killed my career right there but the most important 26:12lesson I learned there is Boehner bility 26:14and you never want to be vulnerable in that environment 26:18asking for help I don't expect 26:22help from others unless you're willing to do something or give something 26:25in return so I used to think that 26:28because I was Indian I would always look up to other Indian entrepreneurs and say 26:32oh well you know i mean the in their Indian they can help me out 26:34doesn't work that way and what I realize is that 26:38you have to change that dynamic I mean this is probably something that 26:42is as cold hard as it may sound but the reality that is if you want something 26:47I you know they're not gonna give it to you right you're only I get something 26:50out of it 26:51if you present something that as is actually value to 26:55right and I some that basic point I had to learn myself 26:58so I can change the conversation around to the conversation was known about how 27:02you can help me 27:03is about how was I help them but they were actually get me to do something for 27:07them 27:07or they're actually do something for me they're actually add value 27:10you have to change that dynamic otherwise you're never going to get 27:14people to actually do something for you 27:15its basic human nature but applied in the business world 27:19a whole lotta sense I no one help me a quick asians 27:22people only offer to help me a blue with him because 27:25my track record a quick Asian so there is that a 27:29there is a growing pain you have to do the first time around 27:33right as a entrenar to be the toughest thing that that you have to go to have 27:37almost 27:37on your stripes and you own your stripes by going through the painful process 27:41a doing a lot of these things on your own until you prove yourself that you 27:45can add value for others 27:48need versus necessity understand the difference between universes necessity 27:52the dot-com world was a prime example something 27:56a in that nature the subprime I mortgage fallout was another one 28:00and what you gotta realize greed is in good and you have to spend 28:04every dollar like the last right and that's a basic form lesson that 28:08we sometimes forget I in every different business cycle here on 28:13and the the net never is that people only to be a 28:16impressed by one thing that your performance nothing else sometimes 28:19people think they have to put on an image 28:22or for our show or put on this a thing that will drive them 28:26to succeed with a client or so investor or some degree 28:30but all that stuff is irrelevant what's really gonna drive them is on real merit 28:33a real performance exterior stereotypes 28:38what matters most is how you see yourself the number one characteristic 28:42in entrepreneurship 28:43what I realized is confidence 28:46and that is a difference between landing a customer 28:49landing an employee a and I you know actually growing your business 28:54and in in creating that or a that actually creates a dynamic around it and 28:59I don't have that early on my life I 29:02if you would have asked me at sixteen to stand up here in from class 29:05I'd be running out the door and I was the biggest introvert on the planet 29:09but it takes time takes practice you can overcome it 29:12but this is one of the biggest things that actually drives you 29:15to create their culture and create a company so confidence is key 29:19and the business world is a stereotype 29:23you can't let it get to you when I was 16 29:26I had two options when people ask me what I did before quickly asians 29:30I could tell the truth her which was like middle school or 29:33I coulda I could be so Impala ring 29:37engaged with what they were enthused about 29:40in about the business that they could they could care less 29:43right the fact that that the question above me being 16 would mean the poor 29:47the problem he would be the fact that while you're actually a million dollars 29:49a month 29:50and you doing at this when your profit warn you this year that because the 29:53entire conversations built around a 29:55it's not based are upon I you know what I did in the past for if I have a Ivy 30:00League education or this and that 30:02its all about actual real numbers 30:07relationships a real successful business is not run by algorithms 30:11its my relationships a relationship are one of the key things that drive you 30:16I through one phase real-life for the next and 30:20you ever want to burn a bridge I i've been insulted told I was in the field 30:24one one VC actually told me a year into 30:27him for me I was a miserably fail that I should save my years my youth 30:32and I should go into a completely different reaction right and I bit my 30:36tongue 30:37and I do not retaliate I said thank you very much for your advice 30:40and a you know life goes on right that's part of the thick 30:44that's par that fixed in you have to have but also the realization that you 30:48never want to burn a bridge in everyone react in a way 30:50because you don't know when that person you're going to be back in your life and 30:53we're 30:54you're actually in a go-ahead and have a better dialogue with them and words 30:57actually gonna make you do something that 30:58could be powerful because you prove them wrong 31:03the hunger too many people in this world one a handout 31:07surround yourself from people that wanna see successful 31:10and our are hungry and if you want a surly on 31:13successful repeat itself for db2 examples that 31:16when I the second time around a buffet and 31:20I knew it another ad serving technology engineering team 31:23so forth and iPhone a company in Belarus evolve with 31:27and IFU down in Belarus met these guys 31:31bad like a they're they're apart their apartments 31:35were rundown apartments but bout thats was their office to 31:39and they had some great technology very hungry very scrappy people 31:43very motivating and a when it was time to strike a deal 31:48I asked the guy with what do you want for this cuz I need this technology can 31:51you help me 31:52put it together and you know be part of this greater company 31:56and he said if you give me a half a million dollars all were like slaves 32:00you have the technology and it will be all all yours 32:04I actually said hey I'll give you a better deal actually let you be part of 32:08this company or the 32:09equity in it and three years there that became $50 million dollars for them 32:13so and and the desire is that 32:16that's not wrong I didn't do anything wrong I actually did right because 32:19that X for 14 and half million dollars they deserve right and that's the kinda 32:23motivation you want it is because 32:25have to spread the pie because that's the only way the pie actually gets 32:28bigger 32:29another example %uh hunger a the and hunger repeating itself 32:34another founding employees have mine was actually are 32:38try to be a doctor and you know you're such a bad influence he dropped out 32:43and I I actually hired him as one of my eye 32:46imp Bonnie employs trouble with him he worked his butt off 32:50you we all played an instrumental role a few and then after we saw the company 32:54I he actually started another one and after two years he sold it for fifty 32:58million dollars 33:00so that is kinda tells you hunger 33:03and the importance of hunger and the importance of actually thrown yourself 33:06from people 33:08that will go all out when you need to to actually connect the dots 33:15culture is everything the first 20 employees will make or break 33:19you hire the right be in a and that company culture 33:23will actually go so much farther for you and and this is key because 33:27cultures were those things that you're around these people every day 33:31you want to make sure you're around people that actually want to be there if 33:34they want to be there they're gonna hire the next twenty people were actually 33:37want to be there too 33:38and that's what creates this or a me if you look at Steve Jobs book 33:43right it was all about thinking differently sir on your cell phone you 33:46if people 33:47trying to let some people actually want to be there and that's the art of 33:50culture 33:51and cultures what drives you cultures what makes the difference between having 33:54a small company 33:55and a super large one because I cultures what actually amplifies 33:59the successful everybody 34:03rejection who likes rejection this room 34:07liar fire 34:10nobody likes rejection human nature right 34:13I but the art love the business world is you have to embrace rejection 34:18to the point you have to almost follow up with it and and and 34:22it is the hardest thing especially the 16-year-old growing up and so forth 34:25a I you know I was challenging matter 34:29in that arena growing up but I learn to accept that I actually let it few me 34:34I me that negative energy actually into positive energy 34:37and that's what you have to do because you everything happens for a reason 34:41and if it happens you have to learn to accept and embrace it 34:46because if if that happens that doesn't mean it's over 34:49that just means you have to try again anytime somebody actually tells me that 34:52all work for me I just end up saying 34:54not right now I'll get you some time or for clients is now 34:58we eventually got them on board not just because we've we we stock down but 35:02because we actually persisted on developing a relationship 35:06actually allow them to realize that that thats 35:10it's been a better for them and another problem examples are 35:15you know nobody wanted to invest in me even the second time around 35:18I had three term sheets from the season actually ended up saying 35:22nope not interested and then they eventually 35:25I found one that was in a better deal and I eventually got the right investors 35:28that believed in me 35:29to other in the is a few examples are JK Rowling probably one of the 35:33be most successful offers in history also a billionaire 35:37she got rejected six times six times from saying no Harry Potter not 35:41interested 35:42right a magellan's another example 1 35:46you know the GPS company had this crazy idea that people actually watch GPS is 35:49in their cars 35:50I 87 times they were told no 35:54that's a lotta rejection right for a passion because people actually ended up 35:58using GPS is in the car 36:00and these guys are one of the first people that want market for 36:05negotiation perception always negotiate 36:08from a position of strength if you need something from the other guy you've 36:12already lost 36:13people want what they can't have become the thing 36:16people want and perception is reality when he sees more important know what is 36:22so show them what they want to see and tell them what they want to hear 36:25you have to believe in yourself almost to the point of madness 36:29you have to be able to sell the dream build a dream yet have to be able to 36:32connect the dots 36:33in your heart in your mind with your team all over 36:36and and and when you do that things work out even if 36:40if if you don't early another example is Google 36:43one Google was just Amir employees 36:4620 employees the lani the Netscape account 36:49and that's cute back then was this big company right 36:53I and their servers crashed so 36:56imagine that you just signed the biggest to your life you're not prepared for it 37:01and the servers crash right so that's the pivotal point just like I had my 37:04people point when I was 16 37:06we're at it figure out what to do when I was normal 37:09they figured out what to do in those coming days I want to end up happening 37:13you know a company ten years later became twenty fifty billion dollars in 37:17in market cap right VAX those are some other decisions that you end up making 37:21that throw yourself in a situation and allow you to go ahead in creating a 37:25bigger 37:26I aspiration outta fix ken 37:30grow a fixed yet a very very 37:33thick skin people will question your ability to succeed 37:37and the loudest among them might make you doubt your own talents 37:41so you need to fix can to drown out the noise the silence will help you focus 37:45on your objective and you will prevail in my second company 37:49booth him in 10 my board meetings 37:52three years into it one my board members actually said hey you know what 37:55I think the company's run a lot faster than your 37:58so imagine that you're the founder 38:01supposedly you doing things right revenues profitability the whole nine 38:05yards 38:06everything's working the right direction why your board members just 38:09doesn't believe in you so I had two options I could react 38:12I start crying I don't do that 38:15I could go ahead and react negatively 38:18right and then I just basically instituting a fight which doesn't 38:22make sense or I could basically except 38:25the fact that that's out this one person feels 38:28and let that be the case but only prove them wrong 38:32their performance so far to fit the fix can help me 38:36keep on the objective and continuing and that's what you have to go 38:42so final thoughts take the advice the late great comedian Jimmy Toronto 38:47be nice to the people on the way up because you'll probably meet them on the 38:50way down 38:51and which means you gotta do the work keep your eye on the tiger 38:55fight like hell defy the odds it's worth it 38:59remember you never want to compromise you're more of 39:02Steve Jobs said it best stay hungry stay foolish 39:06and to mean what that means is never forget where you came from 39:10and never forget where you wanna go thank you 39:20sure a war I so 39:23I guess I i ke I was raised differently 39:26meaning my parents were very religious I were determined for the first eighteen 39:30years my life 39:31so I went through I a lotta love 39:35untypical situations at school and the 39:39that taught me a lot and I think that part of the problem is is that 39:43that usually when people feel that and the rebel leader they get that 39:47the end up becoming a singer to personality and I ended up realizing 39:51Diffley I never realize okay I'm different so what 39:54now let's let's move on acting what am I gonna do with my life 39:57and I think that kinda helps just I guess I was lucky with 40:01you know my grandmother raising me and so forth I in the way of instilling that 40:05but one thing that I did face that that that 40:08I think is to a lesser degree in the bay area now is 40:11is the racism with the stereotypes right I i think that 40:15ten years ago there was definite racism after type something 40:19ten years ago the idea that if you were the engineer are your the technical 40:22person 40:23you would get fired I after you got traction because 40:27they put in the Ivy League mature person to manage the business 40:31right that's all said and done so I think the opportunities for younger 40:34people minorities 40:35all that stuff a has been clear the road 40:39I so so I'm hope that summarizes our answer your question 40:45Jer sure so R you know I a 40:48I've been very a acted differently in flying to be 40:52and a I having gone through 40:55racism and having gone through I the issues 40:59love being the the the different kid 41:03and full-on facing racism I realize that a 41:06things probably got but I mean as I answer this question right here in the 41:09business world 41:10things have gotten better at least in Silicon Valley now 41:13I when the incident that happened a few weeks ago where 41:17you know basically about a supremist came and 41:20kill people and a go to our in Wisconsin 41:24that affected me because I realize that things should not be that way 41:28right things should not actually be effective that way people should 41:31understand that we're all different 41:33and we should be proud and we should be able to go ahead and 41:36and and transcend that message so a 41:39I created to be proud foundation were in the middle of shooting a media campaign 41:43to go on TV 41:45originally was gonna go on earlier but too much crap on politics 41:48for the next few weeks so we're actually launched in November 41:52and other social media component to it as well where you could I 41:55install the Facebook app change your profile picture with the be proud 41:59sticker on it 42:00social life feat of people joining the movement will have a Twitter integration 42:04with that as well but the whole concept if it is 42:06if you think about the coney movement a few weeks few months ago 42:09spy big a successful social cause ever on the Internet 42:13any cause this awareness and that's what inspired us to say that if we can 42:17inspire people 42:18to you social media as a way to 42:22recognize that they're different Mb private I hopefully that'll take one 42:25level away 42:26from problems that we faced a few weeks ago 42:33I think sometimes people learned through failure but 42:36if you don't have to learn it why do it so 42:40you know another way to think about it is is I mean 42:44I was driven to want to succeed no matter what and when you kind of go 42:48through those three things I talked about 42:49ambition discipline purpose and you have those three things 42:53underlying your motivation is clear 42:56there's a good chance or by not gonna fail so ya 42:59if this is again I'm not trying to get all warm and fuzzy here but 43:03I that is in the essence the art of business right it comes from within it 43:07comes from your heart 43:08and and if you can figure yourself out and figure out that 43:11what is it gonna take for me to react a certain way we're I will not accept 43:15failure 43:16that ends up happening no and failure on compu 43:26cool 43:31cool 43:36well 43:41on 43:44that 43:45of 43:48cool 43:54well 43:57cool 44:00of
doar teste
domingo, 27 de abril de 2014
Ambition. Discipline. Purpose. The Journey of Being an Entrepreneur with Gurbaksh Chahal
Assinar:
Postar comentários (Atom)
Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário