When you're a kid, 0:18you get asked this one particular question a lot. 0:21It really gets kind of annoying. 0:23"What do you want to be when you grow up?" 0:26Now, adults are hoping for answers like 0:29"I want to be an Astronaut" or 0:30"I want to be a Neurosurgeon". 0:33You adults and your imaginations. (Laughter) 0:36Kids, 0:37they are more likely to answer with pro skateboarder 0:39surfer or Minecraft player. 0:42I asked my little brother, and he said, 0:44"Seriously dude, I'm 10, I have no idea, 0:46probably a pro skier. 0:48Let's go get some ice cream!" 0:49(Laughter) 0:50See, us kids are going to answer 0:52with something we're stoked on 0:54What we think is cool. 0:55What we have experience with, 0:57and that's typically the opposite of what adults want to hear. 1:01But if you ask a little kid, 1:02sometimes you'll get the best answer, 1:05something so simple, so obvious, 1:07and really profound. 1:10"When I grow up, I want to be happy". 1:13For me, when I grow up, 1:14I want to continue to be happy 1:16like I am now. 1:17I'm stoked to be here at TEDx, 1:19I've been watching TED videos 1:20for as long as I can remember. 1:22But I never thought I'd make it on stage here so soon. 1:25I mean, I just became a teenager, 1:26and like most teenage boys, 1:28I spend most of my time wondering: 1:30"How did my room get so messy all on its own?" (Laughter) 1:33Did I take a shower today? (Laughter) 1:35And the most perplexing of all, 1:37How do I get girls to like me? (Laughter) 1:41Neuroscientists say that the teenage brain is pretty weird. 1:44Our prefrontal cortex is underdeveloped, 1:46but we actually have more neurons than adults. 1:48Which is why we can be so creative, and impulsive, and moody, 1:52and get bummed out. 1:55But what bums me out is to know that 1:57a lot of kids today are just wishing to be happy, 2:01to be healthy, to be safe, not bullied, 2:03and be loved for who they are. 2:05So it seems to me when adults say, 2:08"What do you want to be when you grow up?" 2:10They just assume that you'll automatically be happy and healthy. 2:14But maybe that's not the case. 2:16Go to school. Go to college. Get a job. 2:18Get married. Boom! 2:20Then you'll be happy, right? 2:22We don't seem to make learning how to be happy and healthy 2:25a priority in our schools. 2:26It's separated from schools, 2:28and for some kids, it doesn't exist at all. 2:31But what if we didn't make it separate? 2:33What if we based education on the study 2:35and practice of being happy and healthy? 2:37Because that's what it is, a practice. 2:40And a simple practice like that. 2:43Education is important, 2:45but why is being happy and healthy 2:46not considered education? 2:48I just don't get it. 2:51I've been studying the science of being happy and healthy. 2:54It really comes down to practicing these 8 things: 2:57Exercise, diet and nutrition, 2:59time in nature, contribution and service to others, 3:02relationships, recreation, 3:04relaxation and stress management, 3:07and religious or spiritual involvement. 3:09Yes, I got that one. (Laugther) 3:11So these 8 things come from Dr. Roger Walsh. 3:15He calls them "Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes" 3:17or TLCs for short, 3:19He's a scientist that studies how to be happy and healthy. 3:22In researching this talk, 3:24I got a chance to ask him a few questions like: 3:26"Do you think better schools today are making these 8 TLCs a priority?" 3:30His response was no surprise. 3:32It was essentially "No". 3:34But he did say 3:35that many people do try to get this kind of education 3:38outside of the traditional arena 3:40through reading or practices such as meditation or yoga. 3:44But what I thought was his best response 3:46was that much of education is oriented, 3:48for better or worse, 3:50towards making a living rather than making a life. 3:55In 2006, Sir Ken Robinson gave 3:57the most popular TED talk of all time, 4:00"Schools Kill Creativity." 4:02His message is that creativity is as important as literacy, 4:06and we should treat it with the same status. 4:09A lot of parents watched those videos, 4:11some of those parents like mine counted it as one of the reasons 4:13they felt confident to pull their kids from traditional school, 4:16to try something different. 4:19I realize that I am part of this small but growing revolution of kids 4:22who are going about their education differently. 4:24And you know what? It freaks a lot of people out. 4:28Even though I was only 9 4:30when my parents pulled me out of the school system, 4:32I can still remember my mom being in tears 4:34when some of her friends told her she was crazy, and it was a stupid idea. 4:37Looking back, I'm thankful she didn't cave to peer pressure, 4:41and I think she is too. 4:43So out of the 200 million people 4:48that have watched Sir Ken Robinson's talk, 4:50why aren't there more kids like me out there? 4:55Shane McConkey is my hero. 4:57I loved him because he was the world's best skier. 4:59But then one day I realized what I really loved about Shane. 5:03He was a hacker. 5:04Not a computer hacker, 5:06he hacked skiing. 5:07His creativity and inventions made skiing what it is today, 5:11and why I love to ski. 5:14A lot of people think of hackers as geeky computer nerds 5:17who live in their parent's basement, and spread computer viruses. 5:20But, I don't see it that way. 5:22Hackers are innovators. 5:24Hackers are people who challenge and change the systems 5:27to make them work differently, to make them work better. 5:30It's just how they think, it's a mindset. 5:33I'm growing up in a world 5:35that needs more people with the hacker mindset, 5:37and not just for technology. 5:39Everything is up for being hacked, even skiing, 5:42even education. 5:45So whether it's Steve Jobs, 5:47Mark Zuckerberg or Shane McConkey, 5:49having the hacker mindset can change the world. 5:54Healthy, happy, creativity, 5:56and the hacker mindset are all a large part of my education. 5:59I call it "Hack-Schooling". 6:01I don't use any one particular curriculum, 6:03and I'm not dedicated to anyone's particular approach. 6:06I hack my education. 6:09I take advantage of opportunities in my community, 6:11and through a network of my friends and family. 6:14I take advantage of opportunities to experience what I'm learning. 6:17And I'm not afraid to look for shortcuts 6:19or hacks to get a better, faster result. 6:23It's like a remix or a mashup of learning. 6:27It's flexible, opportunistic, 6:29and it never loses sight of making happy, 6:31healthy and creativity a priority. 6:34And here's the cool part because it's a mindset 6:37not a system. 6:39Hack-schooling can be used by anyone even traditional schools, 6:45So, what does my school look like? 6:47Well it looks like Starbucks a lot of the time. (Laughter) 6:50But, like most kids, 6:52I study a lot of math, science, history, and writing. 6:56I didn't used to like to write 6:58because my teachers made me write about butterflies and rainbows. 7:01And I wanted to write about skiing. 7:04It was a relief when my good friend's mom 7:06started The Squaw Valley Kids Institute 7:08Where I got to write through my experiences and my interests 7:12while connecting with great speakers from around the nation 7:15and that sparked my love of writing. 7:18I realize that 7:20once you're motivated to learn something, 7:23you can get a lot done in a short amount of time 7:25and on your own. 7:27Starbucks is pretty great for that. 7:30Hacking physics was fun. 7:32We learned all about Newton and Galileo, 7:35and we experienced some basic physics concepts like 7:38kinetic energy though experimenting and making mistakes. 7:41My favorite was the giant Newton's cradle that we made out of bocci balls. 7:47We experimented with a lot of other things like bowling balls 7:50and even giant jawbreakers. 7:54Project Discovery's Ropes Course is awesome 7:57and slightly stressful. 7:59When you're 60 feet off the ground, 8:01you have to learn how to handle your fears, 8:03communicate clearly and most importantly, trust each other. 8:08Community organizations play a big part in my education. 8:11A High Fives Foundations Basics Program: 8:14"Being Aware and Safe in Critical Situations" 8:18We spent a day with the Squaw Valley ski patrol 8:20to learn more about mountain safety. 8:21The next day we switched to the science of snow, 8:24weather, and avalanches. 8:26But most importantly, 8:27we learned that making bad decision puts you 8:29and your friends at risk. 8:32Young Shu-Tak Woo brings history to life. 8:35You study a famous character in history, 8:37so you can stand on stage and perform as that character. 8:40and answer any question about their lifetime. 8:44In this photo, 8:45you see Al Capone and Bob Marley 8:47getting grilled with questions 8:49at the historical Piper's Opera House in Virginia City. 8:52The same stage where Harry Houdini got his start. 8:57Time in nature is really important to me. 8:59It's calm, quiet, and I get to just log out of reality. 9:04I spend one day a week outside all day. 9:07At my Foxwalker classes, 9:09our goal is to be able to survive in the wilderness with just a knife. 9:12We learn to listen to nature, we learn to sense our surroundings, 9:16and I've gained a spiritual connection to nature 9:19that I never knew existed. 9:21But the best part is that we get to make spears, 9:23bows and arrows, fires with just a bow drill, 9:26and survival shelters for the snowy nights when we camp out. 9:31Hanging out at The Moment Factory 9:33where they hand make skis and design clothes, 9:35has really inspired me to one day have my own business. 9:38the guys at the factory have showed me why I need to be good at math, 9:42be creative and get good at sewing. 9:45So I got an internship at Big Short Brand 9:48to get better at design and sewing. 9:50Between fetching lunch, scrubbing toilets, 9:53and breaking their vacuum cleaner, 9:54I'm getting to contribute to clothing design, 9:56customizing hats, and selling them. 9:59The people who work there are happy, healthy, creative 10:02and stocked to be doing what they're doing. 10:04This is by far, my favorite class. 10:08So, this is where I'm really happy, 10:10powder days. 10:12And it's a good metaphor for my life, 10:14my education, 10:16my Hack-schooling. 10:17If everyone skied this mountain 10:19like most people think of education, 10:21everyone would be skiing the same line, 10:23probably the safest, 10:24and most of the "powder" would go untouched. 10:27I look at this and see a thousand possibilites. 10:30Dropping the cornice, shredding the spine, 10:32looking for a [unclear] from cliff to cliff. 10:35Skiing to me is freedom, and so it's my education. 10:39It's about being creative, doing things differently. 10:42it's about community, and helping each other, 10:44it's about being happy and healthy 10:46among my very best friends. 10:49So I'm starting to think I know 10:51what I might want to do when I grow up. 10:53But if you ask me what do I want to be when I grow up, 10:56I'll always know that I want to be happy. 10:59Thank you. (Applause)
doar teste
segunda-feira, 5 de maio de 2014
Hackschooling makes me happy
Assinar:
Postar comentários (Atom)
Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário